Re: Status of Python at the early devel stage of Wheezy

[Sandro Tosi, 2011-02-28]
> Wheezy is alive since 3 weeks now, but I ain't see anything moving on
> python side (on the contrary, other part of the toolchain is moving
> quite fast these days); and I don't mean commits in some "remote" VCS,
> I mean really visible stuff to users/developers.

I just uploaded python-defaults 2.6.6-11 to experimental. python2.7
will be uploaded to unstable as soon the gcc toolchain will migrate to
testing and then we'll drop Python 2.5 and add Python 2.7 in unstable
the same day release team will give us a go.

> Just to name the more important aspects still missing:
>
> - python policy is severely outdated; the last update was done right
> after the freeze (not the most happy timing I think). after that,
> nothing (it still advertises to use XB-Python-Version...)

Scott started working on it, feel free to propose patches, or deal with
DPMT problems (like PyQt4 one or lots of packages to check/sponsor), so
that we can have more time to deal with policy. Seriously, we need help.

> - we are "vividly encouraged" (it's not yet "forced" but we're coming
> to it) to use a new helper (dh_python2)

I will never force you to convert to dh_python2. Feel free to sponsor
more DPMT packages and encourage your sponsorees to use your favourite
helper tool.

> which until a bunch of days
> ago haven't a manpage,

huh? even the one in stable has a manpage

> still misses a howto doc to correctly use it

I created one the same hour you asked for it, IIRC

> for a new package, and shows it's young age with several
> bugs/misbehavior.

please report bugs. It works for me, but it's possible that something
doesn't work for you, please let me know what it is (bonus points for
sending patches)

> We all want a single helper, and we want it to work,
> don't we? What's the status then?

Python 2.7 is the last Python 2.x version, IMHO helper tools war is
over, we don't need fancy features like byte-compilation for new
interpreters without touching binary packages anymore, but again:
if you think there's a better solution, please start working on it
(warning: the more you do, the more people will complain and will waste
more of your time)

> - no 2.7 in unstable: what are we waiting? the same mess as 2.6 for squeeze?

2.7 will be in unstable in March 2011 as supported Python version (or I
will not care about it anymore)

> - no clear guide to provide python3-* packages.

cdbs and dh doesn't support Python 3.X yet. I provided a patch for CDBS
but it was rejected, dunno why. I can either work on creating howtos to
create magic debian/rules files, or just point you to my packages and
work on python-multibuild instead (see #538978) which hopefully will be
used in cdbs, dh and pure debhelper debuian/rules files