Re: Build-time testing

On Feb 22, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 09:58:36 am Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>> On 02/22/2011 03:47 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> > It would be nice if dh auto-detected a setup.py (and/or missing Makefile)
>> > and didn't run 'make test' in that case, so that the
>> > override_dh_auto_test wasn't necessary.  Yah, I should create a bug and
>> > patch for that.
>>
>> I don;t think it would be a good idea to enable this as default due to
>> the fun part of setuptools which starts to download random eggs from the
>> internet when they're not available. My guess would eb that a lot of
>> packages would miss that and we'd run into failures on the buildds.
>
>Won't it only do that if the package isn't already installed?

I think that's right.  I recently enabled the unittests in d/rules for
computer-janitor and had to add the python-dbus and update-manager-core
packages as B-D.  Now that I'm thinking about it, the tests actually failed
(in mysterious ways) until I added those B-Ds.  But I don't think either
package is in the Cheeseshop, and I don't remember if it tried to pull them
and failed, or just didn't try.

BTW, distribute doesn't print very helpful tracebacks when tests fail because
of ImportErrors.  The best way to debug that is by trying the test suite
imports manually and then fixing the (better diagnosed) ImportErrors
one-by-one.

-B