Re: Packaging pypy

Hello Stefano,

Am 30.11.2011 20:59, schrieb Stefano Rivera:
Hi Kay (2011.11.30_21:01:01_+0200)
The logical follow up is, how about X-Alternate-Python-Stacks ?

I was contemplating that long term, once Nuitka is really a useful
accelerator, it should be allowed to compile modules, whole
packages, or programs at install time.

Will that fit into this?

I know little about Nuitka, but I don't think so. Nuitka isn't something
that python modules will want to support at build time, is it?

As I understand it, it could compile *applications* to C using Python's
C API.

What could it usefully do for a pure-python module package?

It could turn every "module.py" into a "module.so" with more or less dubious benefits. With for StringIO e.g. that's potentially a cool thing to do, for other things, it likely isn't at all.

It too (once Nuitka reaches that milestone) would e.g. turn ctypes bindings to faster, in its case, statically compiled native call bindings.

I admit, it's probably 2 years away, that this is a real issue, but you know, if the infrastructure added for PyPy would help me too, that would be great.

For Nuitka I would like to mix and match PyPy and CPython module alternatives freely for compilation.

The mode, where a Python program is condensed to a single executable, is of course independent, and unrelated.

But yeah, if a module or whole package could be made faster for everything, and all it took was adding an indication to the Debian package, that would be great.

Yours,
Kay