Re: Packaging pypy

Hi Matthias (2011.11.29_14:21:18_+0200)
> maybe for binary packages, but there is no reason why a pypy extension couldn't
> be built from the same source packages.  Could you summarize why it needs to be
> a separate stack?

Sorry, discussion on IRC yesterday, made me realise that I was unclear.

I think we should package it on it's own for now (a separate, empty,
stack). Working out the details of how to build binary packages for it
and cpython requires a little thought still, and we can modify the PyPy
package once we've worked that out.

Providing a PyPy + virtualenv will probably give most people who
desperately want PyPy, now, something to play with (and it could make it
into the upcoming Ubuntu release).
(This needs virtualenv 1.6.1, #632982)

As to the integration: We had a reasonable discussion on #debian-python.
To summarise the major points:

How to tell dh_python2 about it:
================================

We'd probably want something like X-PyPy-Version to state PyPy support.
The logical follow up is, how about X-Alternate-Python-Stacks ?

It's tempting to consider other alternative Python implementations.
But I don't think any of them besides PyPy are anywhere near a point
where we could consider packaging modules for them.

I think we may want to express PyPy version restrictions for packages
which could only build their C extensions in a PyPy >= X (PyPy is
still expanding Cpyext, adding more of the Python C-API)
For pure python modules, it's probably not useful, but is an
appropriate way to state PyPy support

How to handle dependencies between modules:

Does every binary package that supports cpython and pypy have to have a
versioned dependency for pypy support for every dependency?

One solution is Provides pypy-foo.

Does that need to be pypy1.7-foo ?
After all, C-extensions are going to have to be built for each pypy
version, and we'll have to do transitions, just like cpython. (Although,
less painful, presumably, as PyPy isn't undergoing language changes,
like cpython - for 2.x)

Or we just live with a fair amount of PyPy module brokenness while we
are bootstrapping the modules.

XB-PyPy-Versions?

SR

--