Re: Request for Review - Nuitka the Python compiler

Hello Nicolas,

you wrote:

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:50:13PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
* Paul Boddie<paul@boddie.org.uk>, 2011-11-12, 15:08:
c) I renamed "Nuitka.py" to a "nuitka" binary. I am keeping the
drop-in replacement as "Python" though.
I don't think it's wise to call it "Python",

Agreed, this is bad idea.

+1

What's wrong with calling nuitka, nuitka ? I do not remember PyPy,
Stackless, Jython, IronPython or any other alternative Python
interpreters trying to install their executable under the name
/usr/bin/python, so why would you want to do it in this case ?

For the record, the package installs "/usr/bin/Python" which uses "/usr/bin/python" in its "#!" line.

I just got accustomed to it, you know like when you develop something over years, and cannot think of anything else.

The "/usr/bin/nuitka" binary is not that one, "Python" is intended to be a "behave alike python just be faster in a cached way". And "nuitka" shall be the "do one of many things" binary.

I might remove it from the Debian package, or put it to "/usr/share/doc/nuitka/examples" and then mention it in a "README.Debian".

The "Python" does not accept "python" alike options anyway yet, it's not finished if you wish.

I absolutely don't want "Python" to block the entry of "nuitka" to Debian proper. Oh collective Debian-Python Brainpower, tell me a good name but "nuitka" for said binary. :-)

PS: Thank you for working on Nuitka, it looks really interesting.

Thanks a lot too.
Kay