Re: Scons build system

On 24/10/2011 23:51, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> I don't know if this list is appropiate to discuss about Scons. If it isn't,
> please redirect me to the right one.
>
> I'm starting to package a C++ library for Debian and it uses scons to generate
> the binaries.
>
> The problem is that scons doesn't set the soname on the generated .so file.
>
> I was able to fix that, but I had to modify the upstream scons stuff. It's there
> any way to set the sonane using environment variables instead patching the
> upstream sources?
>
> I'm looking for something like
>
> LINKFLAGS=-Wl,-soname=mylib.version.so <http://mylib.version.so>

I've actually packaged one such package in the past, i.e. sigx. You can take a
look at the packaging if you like (which would really be a blast from the past
because the package hasn't been updated for a few years).

There really isn't a way to set the soname in scons unless the SConstruct things
have provisions for setting LDFLAGS and such already. In fact, one of the major
problems with scons was the lack of DESTDIR support and the need to manually
implement it.

Based on my experience with scons at that time, I think it wouldn't be too far
from the truth to compare scons with raw Makefiles. It's such a crappy build
system I don't even know why people even use it.

Good luck.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin