Re: Some thoughts about py{support,central} -> dh_python2 conversion

I'm just getting back from vacation, so I'm playing catch-up right now.
Thanks for sending this email.

On Aug 07, 2011, at 10:29 PM, Jakub Wilk wrote:

>1) Test your packages. Don't assume that the helper you use does the right
>thing. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

One thing I've found very helpful is to build the package both before and
after your conversion, then diff the package contents using debdiff.  Once you
get the hang of the expected differences, such as symlinks that will appear in
only the post-conversion package, you can pretty quickly identify major
problems in your conversion.

Once this looks pretty good, installing the package and doing other tests as
Jakub suggests will find any additional problem.

>2) Do not skip the "Before you begin"[0] step. This is very important: if two
>packages share a namespace, either both or none of them must use
>python-support. Also, it's not enough just to convert them all to dh_python2:
>you must make sure (using Breaks or Depends relationships) that you cannot
>co-install an older python-support-based versions together with
>dh_python2-based ones.

I've added a note about Breaks/Depends to the wiki page.

-Barry