Some thoughts about py{support,central} -> dh_python2 conversion

Dear all,

If you can't resist the urge to convert your packages from python-support to dh_python2, then please at least:

1) Test your packages. Don't assume that the helper you use does the right thing. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

2) Do not skip the "Before you begin"[0] step. This is very important: if two packages share a namespace, either both or none of them must use python-support. Also, it's not enough just to convert them all to dh_python2: you must make sure (using Breaks or Depends relationships) that you cannot co-install an older python-support-based versions together with dh_python2-based ones.

I set up a page to track this kinds of issues in unstable[2] and testing[3]. Please note that I analyse only package contents, not relationships. The tracker is updated daily. (Any volunteers to file bugs?)

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/Python/TransitionToDHPython2#before_you_begin [1] http://lintian.debian.org/~jwilk/python-namespace/conflicts-unstable.txt
[1] http://lintian.debian.org/~jwilk/python-namespace/conflicts-testing.txt

--
Jakub Wilk