Re: regarding Packaging module in 3.3

Le 14/06/2011 14:40, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe a écrit :
> Have you guys looked at the new module, Packaging, in Python 3.3? Will
> it solve all the problems that Debian Python packaging has, or is it
> still lacking?

distutils2/packaging is an improved fork of distutils.  As such, it will
not revolutionize Debian packaging, but we’re willing to help downstream
packaging as far as possible.  For example, I’d like to remove the need
for the install-layout=deb patch to distutils.  Also, I’d like to
improve the compileall module to better support Debian’s needs, and also
reach agreement on adding a vendor-packages directory
(http://bugs.python.org/issue1298835), and work on any other bugs in
site, sysconfig or other modules that Debian has to patch.

distutils/packaging is only one part of the overall installation system.

Regards