Re: private modules and dh_python2

[Barry Warsaw, 2011-06-13]
> it's
> fine to include things like a `test` (Python) subpackage in the (Debian)
> package python-foo.  It aligns with the Python "consenting adults" motto, and
> I think such things *can* be useful.  As long as the top-level package name is
> unique, subpackage can't pollute the global namespace, so I don't care.

it is fine and it is useful... as a submodule, not as a top-level module

[...]
> >you realize that setuptools/distribute hardcodes versions and forces you
> >to depend on python-setuptools/python-pkg-resources, right?
>
> In the context of Debian, what are the practical problems of this?

it's 217k of unneeded data that can be easily avoided and few CPU cycles
that can be spared

anyway, I always say to my sponsorees: if it's not useful outside this
application, make it private and not pollute the global namespace. It
always can be promoted to public one later