Re: Thoughts on the transition to Python 2.7

* Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org>, 2010-10-21, 10:59:
Python file compatibility cannot be fully determined until byte-compilation time, which happens at installation.

If you care only about byte-compilation, installing a package is overkill. It's way easier and faster just to unpack the .deb (dpkg-deb -x) and run `python2.7 -m compileall /path/to/unpacked/stuff`.

I think all packages should have test suites and all test suites should be run at build time - *and* the build should fail if the test suite fails (something I'm not sure happens all the time).

+1

--
Jakub Wilk