Re: Thoughts on the transition to Python 2.7

On Oct 21, 2010, at 06:35 AM, Jakub Wilk wrote:

>* Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org>, 2010-10-20, 19:30:
>>We need to check both build and installation (i.e. for pure Python package
>s)
>>compatibility for 2.7.
>
>What is so special about pure-Python packages?

I mistyped.  I meant to say that Python file compatibility cannot be fully
determined until byte-compilation time, which happens at installation.  That
is, unless the package has a test suite that runs at build time and fully
touches all .py files.

That doesn't even address correctness against Python 2.7, which is much
harder.  That's one reason why I think all packages should have test suites
and all test suites should be run at build time - *and* the build should fail
if the test suite fails (something I'm not sure happens all the time).

-Barry