Re: Python and python3 as separate runtime systems

Hi Scott,
thanks for bringing this up.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 23:43, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:
> This has been discussed a bit, but I'd like to see where Debian Python
> consensus is on this.
>
> I think users who don't care about Python 3 yet, should be able to have
> systems that don't pull any Python 3 elements on by accident.  Python 3 is
> primarily of interest to developers right now and most users won't care to
> have it.

Please note that python developers are also users! :) In particular,
given the fact that more and more devs are moving away from debian to
ubuntu because it's more "up to date with what python developers
need", we need to give particular attention to them too.

> It is very unusual for code to be able to run unmodified in both Python 2 and
> Python 3.
>
> I think it makes sense for them to be kept separate at runtime.
>
> This would mean separate python-foo and python3-foo binaries where both are
> supported from the same source.
>
> It would mean that binaries should not depend on both Python 2 and Python 3
> interpreters.

+1

Having two completely separated branches of packages (2.x and 3.x) it
seems a wise move.

Regards,