Re: Python versions for Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)

[Barry Warsaw, 2010-05-18]
> My own personal principle for decisions regarding Python on Ubuntu are that we
> (Debian and Ubuntu) should always work together and try to reach consensus
> where possible.

great!

> We can also recognize that Ubuntu and Debian may ultimately
> make different decisions, but they should be one of timing rather than
> substance.  What I mean by that is that we can use the basic fact of our
> different release schedules to our advantage.

sure, as long as Debian is not affected (and Ubuntu doesn't waste too
much of our work)

> With Ubuntu's time-based and
> LTS releases, we can often be more aggressive in our decisions,

we have experimental for aggressive changes...

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/TechnicalOverview/Python

* how many Ubuntu developers at least read PEP 3147?
* how many of them will work on huge changes that packages need in order
  to work with PEP3147?
* will Ubuntu force Debian to use these changes (you will *have to*
  introduce them in 10.10 if you want to use python3.2 on desktop)?

FYI: I've been there, I tried to fix 2.6 related bugs in Ubuntu without
possibility to test them on Debian, it's not fun at all and I will not
do it again (since I got not nice comments and delays in return)