Re: Python versions for Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)

Hi Barry,
thanks for your interest for Debian too :)

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 23:50, Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:
> On May 18, 2010, at 02:30 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>We did make the assumption that by the time 2.7 is released Debian will be in
>>freeze.

Even if it won't be in freeze yet, it will soon to be, so it doesn't
change that much

> Yep.  I heard rumors of a June-ish freeze, but I guess nothing official has
> yet been decided.

Nothing written in stone, but near june yes. Funny that it's the
python2.6 transition what's currently delaying the freeze..

I don't think we can include 2.7 in Debian supported versions for
squeeze, maybe just as a "playground" for squeeze+1.

>>Another important point that I think deserves more emphasis is that we agreed
>>that the testing done in Ubuntu for 2.7, will also be done against the Debian
>>archive as well. There was a strong consensus in the group that Ubuntu should
>>take great care to avoid doing anything that would accrue a technical debt
>>that has to be paid in Debian (I found this a notable change from similar
>>discussions in previous release cycles).
>
> I completely agree.  I've added some emphasis to the previously mentioned wiki
> page.

Ideally transitions should start in Debian and lend "for free" in
ubuntu, but I understand that for 10.10 we can't make Debian the
environment for 2.7 transition :)