Re: Python Packaging Guide

On 21/04/10 05:01, Jakub Wilk wrote:
Who is your target audience? If you want this document to be read by packaging newbies, then this document is terribly incomplete.
That, I believe, would be because of my very limited knowledge in the field. Although I may not have explicitly said this initially, I don't know a world more than what I've written. Therefore, if someone is interested in maintaining a guide for newbies, then they'd have to contribute themselves. (That's why I don't want to credit myself, because if it is to be a complete piece of documentation, my contributions aren't sufficient).
On the other hand, anyone who is acquainted with packaging basics will find your text unnecessarily long, full of uninteresting trivia, yet still non-comprehensive.
Unfortunately, I cannot see it from that perspective. Basically, I wrote this because I struggled to get my first (and currently only) package built properly because the only piece of documentation available used the cdbs approach and was a little outdated. When you reviewed the package, your comments didn't immediately make sense to me because all I had done was blindly follow a guide. The only thing I wanted to do with this guide was to provide a little more explanation of what you are actually doing when you follow the guide (I don't claim to have been very successful at this though). This so that a newbie, like myself, wouldn't have to spend a great deal of time just to understand a DD's review. Clearly, had I known a little more then, the number of emails we would have exchanged would have been far fewer.
Moreover, doubling the text length for the sake of being "neutral" is a bad decision. cdbs does not deserve to advertised in any way. Some people will keep using it, let them do it, but that should be their conscious decision. (As a matter of fact, dh7 is neither a good tool to show how things work.)
You and Luca (Falavigna) have confused me here. You even more ;) because I don't understand what you said about dh7. What you are saying is that the cdbs part should be deleted and what with dh7?

Thanks,

Umang

PS: Jakub, I'm really sorry about the previous email. I completely forgot to click "Reply list". Apologies.