Re: Python Packaging Guide

Hello,

* Umang Varma <umang.me@gmail.com>, 2010-04-16, 18:15:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Python?action=recall&rev=11

My general impression is that it's yet another (very) bad piece of documentation. Feel free to ignore my opinion however, as I'm already prejudiced. :P

Okay, and here are some factual errors:

It is important to emphasize here that we should not touch anything from the upstream source (except for special cases, [link to bug #560287] which haven't been documented very well as yet).

This is stated in a very confusing way and I'm not quite sure what do you meant here. It is very well documented when original source should/shouldn't be repackaged (DevRef 6.8.7); versioning scheme is just a detail. But nobody calls repacking .orig.tar.gz "touching upstream source"...

[you] should consider using [markdown] the next time you need something to format your plain text

Erm, real pythoniasts ;) use reStructuredText for that purpose.

${misc:Depends} is debhelper magic. debhelper keeps track of all the dh commands (don't worry, we'll come that soon) that we use and ensures that our package depends any other package that is required to run the command we do.

Please don't call "magic" things that are simple and documented (see debhelper(7)). Besides, this description is highly confusing.

A little bit of looking up tells us that ElementTree is already in python by default, which leaves us with only Python to depend on.

This is true only for Python >= 2.5, and python-markdown is supposed to support 2.4, too. Besides, standalone ElementTree use a different module name that the one in the standard library, and not every piece of software is prepared for that. (IIRC we had to patch a few packages in order to be able to kick python-elementtree out of unstable.)

--
Jakub Wilk