Re: (again) Why default python is not 2.6 yet?

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 00:32, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> (17/02/2010):
>> No, don't tell me it's because of the first round of binNMUs: either
>> someone's going to fix them or they will be FTBFS with 2.6 as
>> default, and better explicit than implicit (how many people look at
>> those binNMUs except us?).
>
> While 2.5 is the default, one can use (with the default interpreter)
> any package built against 2.5; meaning those FTBFSes don't matter
> much.

Sure it can be used, but we still have to fix them before the release.

> Switching to 2.6 would mean that the packages currently FTBFSing can't
> be used (with the default interpreter).
>
> So, sorry, but yes, I think the FTBFSes are holding up the transition,
> and for a good reason. Hopefully, I guess a few NMUs should do the
> trick.

Ok, but those ~10 packages are only the tip of the iceberg. They were
scheduled weeks ago, and if they're still there, they'll probably last
longer. For example, are all the maintainers aware their packages are
FTBFS? I took 'gammu' as example, and there is no RC bug filed, so
probably Michael didn't even know gammu needs work.

How many packages will FTBFS, fail to start or to work, generate weird
errors or any other flavor of "won't work with 2.6"? Nobody knows,
that's why having the switch sooner than later gives us more time to
actually test the packages, let the users verify if they're working as
expected, and for developers (wide meaning) to fix any problem.

At the time of the switch, yes, the transition will start to grow,
given the current "hidden" bugs, but just waiting won't make them go
away/be fixed/noticed.

That's my whole point: the more time with 2.6 as default, the more
time we have to prepare squeeze better, making this transition less
painful as it currently is.

> (I might be missing something, I'm a bit laggy buildd-wise since past
> week.)

No problem :)

Regards,