Re: How do I know if my package is 'arch-all' or 'arch-any'?

>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Iustin Pop <iusty@k1024.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > People who are creating/maintaining packages should start by reading
>> > the general packaging documentation, which explains these.
>>
>> Python package maintainers do not need to learn all that irrelevant C
>> stuff they have no idea about. They need minimum required information
>> explaining how their software should be packaged and why.
>
> Iustin is correct: a Debian package maintainer needs to be familiar with
> the general packaging documentation.

I do not argue. I just want to say that for people with Python
background this information should be structured in different manner
omitting various irrelevant and confusing details.

> You are free to learn what you want to learn, and ignore what you want
> to ignore, of course. But that doesn't mean you get to skip the
> essential packaging documentation if you want to be a Debian package
> maintainer. That *is* part of the minimum required information.

Ok. I may be wrong. Do you have a list of literature for people who
want to become a maintainer of Python package? Preferably in an order
for zero Debian student who have read chapter "Distributing Python
Modules" from Python Manual. I will be happy to put it on wiki and
refresh my knowledge.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

>> Thanks! How about updating python-support README with these comments?
>> Something makes me think that most Python people who are the primary
>> readers of this text don't really know what is "arch-all" or
>> "arch-any".
>
> You have to be kidding.
>
> Especially, a more Python-oriented description (talking about th
> difference between pure-Python modules and C extensions) is already
> included in this file.

But it doesn't describe what is 'arch-all' or 'arch-any'. Perhaps I
want too much - simple instructions with all gory Debian details
explained. Maybe putting README to wiki will help hyperlink unclear
sections to relevant parts of Debian general packaging documentation?

--
anatoly t.