Re: Debhelper 7, Python package, multiple binary packages

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> > Once I learn how to make a ‘foo-dbg’ package, I can do that in the
> > next release […]
>
> I've learned some about creating a ‘foo-dbg’ package [0]. However, I'm
> ending up with a source package that installs none of the Python files
> into any of the binary packages.

Going further today, I now have a ‘python-coverage’ package that:

* uses Debhelper 7.x (as before)
* uses python-support (as before)
* is Debian source package format “3.0 (quilt)”
* has multiple binary packages

and it successfully builds the original (“normal”) binary package,
‘python-coverage’.

However, in doing so, I've had to fall back on explicitly iterating
Python versions and explicitly calling ‘setup.py install’, which partly
defeats the purpose of using Debhelper 7 and python-support. This is
frustrating, and I wonder if I'm missing some simpler way to do
multiple binary Python packages with these tools.

Also, while the ‘python-coverage’ binary package is now building
correctly, the ‘python-coverage-dbg’ binary package contains nothing
useful; it's as though there is no content for that package detected by
the tools. Isn't that exactly why I'm using Debhelper >= 7.3.5 in the
first place: to automatically handle the debug package based on
‘Build-Depends: python-all-dbg’?

I would appreciate some feedback again at this point, I'm going
cross-eyed trying to find what is wrong and someone else can probably
see it much easier.

I'm not uploading it to mentors because it's not in a fit state for
release. The Debian packaging is in a Bazaar repository:

    $ bzr branch http://bzr.debian.org/bzr/collab-maint/python-coverage/python-coverage.debian/

You can use ‘uscan’ to get the upstream source (currently version 3.2).

Thanks in advance to mentors spending time to help me.

--
 \       “An idea isn't responsible for the people who believe in it.” |
  `\                                      —Donald Robert Perry Marquis |