Re: Advice: how to effectively maintain pyparted in Debian?

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org> wrote:

> Recently, upstream declared that pyparted is bound to Fedora libparted,
> and not with upstream [3], so I'm not sure future versions will be ever
> supported by our libparted.

Is the issue just that upstream has not yet released a new version and
Fedora has a habit of shipping vcs snapshots and pre-releases? It
appears the new functions have been added upstream (search for commits
by Hans de Goede):

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/download.shtml
http://git.debian.org/?p=parted/parted.git;a=shortlog

> How to proceed from here? Here are some scenarios:
> 1. Keep things as they are now: stick with 2.2 for Squeeze, and see
>   what happens libbparted side in Squeeze + 1.
> 2. Package 2.4, patch it to be compatible with our libparted, and face
>   RC bugs that will eventually be reported, without upstream support.
> 3. Remove pyparted from Sid and Squeeze.

None of these seem very good ideas to me, I'd suggest:

Talk to upstream, Debian and Fedora maintainers for libparted,
pyparted and get the forks merged and a new upstream release made so
that everything is compatible. Also suggest that they release early,
release often so that distros are not tempted to apply to many extra
patches.

If that fails, get  the Fedora folks rename their forks
libparted-fedora and pyparted-fedora.

--
bye,
pabs