Re: XS-Python-Version vs pyversions

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 04:07:36PM -0700, Ludovico Cavedon wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am working on packaging a python modules using python-support.

> cddb warns me:
> ==========
> WARNING:  Use of XS-Python-Version and XB-Python-Version fields in
> debian/control is deprecated with pysupport method; use
> debian/pyversions if you need to specify specific versions
> ==========

> But on the other side [1] says:
> "The addition of the XS-Python-Version/XB-Python-Version fields is
> appreciated."

> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy [+-]

> I spent some time looking on ML archives and Debian wiki, but I could
> not find a clear answer about which one is the preferred one. Using both
> of them looks to me a useless replication of information.

> What is the best practice?

The XS-Python-Version field was specified as a tool for detecting, without
having to download and inspect individual source packages, that a given
package can be successfully rebuilt for a python transition, to aid the
release team in this work.

The python-support maintainer's decision to undermine this doesn't represent
best practices, it represents his personal opinion.