Re: XS-Python-Version vs pyversions

Steve Langasek wrote:
> The XS-Python-Version field was specified as a tool for detecting, without
> having to download and inspect individual source packages, that a given
> package can be successfully rebuilt for a python transition, to aid the
> release team in this work.

As mentioned somewhere else in this thread it makes much more sense to loog at
the build-dependencies. Packages which need a special (single) version of Python
are easy to detect on their biuild-dependencies. For the few packages which
depend on python-all(-.*), although they build modules only for a limited number
of Python versions, it is still a good idea to rebuild them to ensure that they
still build with the tools from the latest version (like pyversions, python.mk,
your $favourite python helper).
>From the 90 packages in the Python Modules team which use debian/pyversions,
there are only 5 which have the Python versions limited to <<2.5, so they'll be
gone as soon as Python 2.4 is removed.
So I fail to see a reason why the XS-Foo stuff is necessary.

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                             Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79