Re: Getting stuck into apps-team and modules-team

Hi Jonathan,
first of all, thanks for your interest in helping the teams!

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 16:00, Jonathan
Wiltshire<debian@jwiltshire.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've looked at a few packages in the repositories for these teams, but I'm
> reluctant to start making changes without making sure it's not going to
> upset anybody :)
>
> Where the team is just an uploader, I'm inclined to leave the maintainer to
> ask for help when s/he needs it. But where packages are fully under the team's
> scope, is there any protocol for starting work on an oustanding package?

Unwritten policy (or maybe it's written and I don't remember where ;)
) says: if the team is in Maintainer field, any member can do changes
and upload the package; if the team is in the Uploaders field, any
member can do changes but an upload is to be ack'ed by the maintainer.

> Particularly where there are bugs or new upstreams available, is it acceptable
> to just get stuck in, or is wise to contact the last changer (I found little
> evidence of this on lists, but I may have been looking in the wrong
> places)?

Well, our course it would be nice to contact the current "real" person
behind a package, but it's not strictly needed, see above :)

Some things you might work on:

- bug fixing
- bug forwarding upstream
- general cleanup of packages
- review of packages in need for a sponsor (you can't sponsor, but you
can screen the package to spot something wrong)
- (cautious) upgrade to now upstream releases.

have fun

BTW: please do something for your signature: is as long as this email,
and this a long mail of yours - it only adds confusion in the text.