Verifying module dependencies (Was: [Help] Failed to apply new Python policy to GNUmed packages)

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:

I got an
error that mx.DateTime can't be imported, so you probably need to depend on
python-egenix-mxdatetime).

Thanks to Emilio I was able to fix the gnumed-client package which was in fact
lacking the python-egenix-mxdatetime build dependency.  Thinking about this I
wonder how we could make sure that this kind of problems will be easier to detect.
Detecting missing Build-Depends is easy if you use pbuilder but detecting runtime
depends IMHO needs to install a clean chroot or whatever.  Wouldn't it be possible
to parse all import statements in the code and verify that the package which
provide the imports are listed in the Depends of a package?  I have no idea
whather this makes sense or how much effort this takes - just a thought.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de