Re: Verifying module dependencies (Was: [Help] Failed to apply new Python policy to GNUmed packages)

Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>
>> I got an
>> error that mx.DateTime can't be imported, so you probably need to
>> depend on
>> python-egenix-mxdatetime).
>
> Thanks to Emilio I was able to fix the gnumed-client package which was
> in fact
> lacking the python-egenix-mxdatetime build dependency.  Thinking about
> this I
> wonder how we could make sure that this kind of problems will be easier
> to detect.
> Detecting missing Build-Depends is easy if you use pbuilder but
> detecting runtime
> depends IMHO needs to install a clean chroot or whatever.  Wouldn't it
> be possible
> to parse all import statements in the code and verify that the package
> which
> provide the imports are listed in the Depends of a package?  I have no idea
> whather this makes sense or how much effort this takes - just a thought.

There is this script[1], it doesn't tell you the binary packages, but feel free
to fix that :)

This other one[2] tells you binary packages IIRC, but you need to have them
installed, so if you're missing a module the script won't tell you about it.

Emilio

[1]
http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/python-modules/tools/find_python_dependencies.py?rev=6993&view=auto
[2]