Re: Developer workflow and DVCS (was: Leaving DPMT?)

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Tristan Seligmann
<mithrandi@mithrandi.net> wrote:
> * Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> [2009-03-02 11:07:25 -0500]:
>
>> > If you don't want the project history, then you can use lightweight
>> > checkouts, which are essentially equivalent to SVN checkouts (you get a
>> > local working copy, but no local branch or repository).
>>
>> Ah, so you basically only get the local working copy, but *no* bzr
>> repository, right? Well, with git, you can get this over the web
>> interface, so we may write a simple (Python:) script to download this
>> for you from the commandline. Maybe someone did this already.
>
> Does fetching the tarball(?) from the git web interface give you
> something that you can commit changes with? You can still commit /

No, I think you can't.

> update / etc. in a bzr lightweight checkout, like you can with an SVN
> working copy.

Ah, I didn't know this. So that's indeed better. Even though as I have
shown in the thread about numpy update, the history is not big, the
main problem is with the tarball (e.g. including it in the repo, vs.
downloading it separately).

Ondrej