Re: Need help with revelation

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 05:22:09PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:00:40 +0000 bd@bc-bd.org wrote:
> >Simply removing the package may be a bad idea, as people who are using
> >revelation will then no longer be able to access their password lists.
>
> Removing the package from the archive won't remove it from installed
> systems.
>
> If it's dead upstreamam then I'd suggest it ought to go.

You are right that removing it from the archive will not uninstall it on systems
directly, but revelation pulls in a lot of dependencies (directly and
indirectly) and in the past it has happen more than once that revelation was
uninstalled due to library incompatibilities.

So what might happen, is that revelation gets removed from a system because some
dependency changes.

IMHO we should provide uses with some kind of exist strategy, perhaps a popup
dialog saying something like "This program is dead upstream, it may be removed
from the next stable release without further notice, we recommend that you
migrate your password information to another application".

Regards

	Stefan
--
BOFH excuse #416: