Re: When is rtupdate run?

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 02:23:21AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> On ven, 2008-04-04 at 19:08 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> > > On the other hand, I???m not sure such symbolic links are necessary for
> > > debugging libraries; at least they are not for usual libraries.
> >
> > The debug library names all have the same -py24 and -py25 decoration
> > as the non-debug ones found in libboost-python-dev.  The symlinks are
> > to support linking with the default Python runtime.  This may not be
> > "usual", but how else do you deal with a library supporting two Python
> > runtimes?
>
> This is all good for regular libraries, but as they are decorated, the
> debuglink information added by dh_strip should point to the decorated
> debugging library location, so you shouldn???t need the undecorated
> symbolic link for the debugging libraries.

Ah, now I see your confusion.

For a "standard" library, you're perfectly right.  The -dbg library has
the same SONAME as the non-debug version.

Boost is different: they decorate the debug library name (and SONAME)
with an extra "-d".  So the debug versions do need the default runtime
symlinks.

Cheers,
-Steve