Re: When is rtupdate run?

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:29:37PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> On ven, 2008-04-04 at 10:48 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > I was hoping is that if python is subsequently installed, that python
> > itself would run the rtupdate scripts.  This doesn't seem to be the
> > case.  Should it be?  If not, how should I handle the situation where
> > libboost-dbg is installed/configured prior to python being installed?
>
> It seems indeed like a good idea to run them when python is first
> installed, so that is clearly a limitation of the current
> python-defaults rtupdate mechanism.
>
> On the other hand, [...]

Without getting bogged down in the precise details of my situation,
the use case is simply this: a package that provides optional Python
support may have an rtupdate script that is called by its postinst
using "pyversions" to find the default runtime version.

Since the Python support is optional, the package does not depend on
python.  In this case, its postinst script must skip the rtupdate if
python is not available.

When Python is subsequently installed, the rtupdate scripts of all
previously-installed packages should be run.

Sound reasonable?  Shall I file a bug to this effect?  On python?

> On the other hand, I???m not sure such symbolic links are necessary for
> debugging libraries; at least they are not for usual libraries.

The debug library names all have the same -py24 and -py25 decoration
as the non-debug ones found in libboost-python-dev.  The symlinks are
to support linking with the default Python runtime.  This may not be
"usual", but how else do you deal with a library supporting two Python
runtimes?

-Steve