Re: Packaging software for Cheeseshop and Debian

> I develop and package webcheck [0] (a python application with private
> modules). I put all stuff in /usr/share/webcheck and use python-support
> for compiling the stuff there. I ship an /usr/bin/webcheck symlink
> to /usr/share/webcheck/webcheck.py. This seems to work fine.

You can also drop a python script to /usr/bin directly - python doesn;t
try to create .pyc files there, even when runnign as root.

>>> I don't know if setuptools or distutils supports packaging private
>>> modules.
>> Then what is meant by the Python policy speaking of such things?
>
> I have only recently had a look at distutils [1] and have the impression
> that it is only meant for stuff that should end up in the system python
> path (please correct me if I'm wrong).

distutils and setuptools are able to do the same thing, usually you can
just exchange them - with the difference that setuptools is broken most
of the time imho.

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de>                         <http://bzed.de/>