Re: Packaging software for Cheeseshop and Debian

Sam Clegg <sam@superduper.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 11:08 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > So, I ask for help with this specific package, in the hope that I
> > can learn more general lessons about packaging software for both
> > Python's Cheeseshop and the Debian package system.
>
> From the looks of your package I don't suppose you're looking for
> such a simple answer but the normal way to package executable
> scripts would be to specify "scripts = ['bin/gracied']" in your
> setup,py

Thank you for your reply.

Okay, now that I have that, the program is detected and installed in
the correct location ('/usr/bin/gracied').

Unfortunately, it doesn't run, failing with an ImportError. The
modules are not installed to '/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/...', but only to
'/usr/share/pycentral/gracie/site-packages/gracie/' which isn't on the
system path for Python modules.

A 'find /' for the modules shows that they *only* exist in that
location. Isn't 'python-central' supposed to automatically put them in
the version-specific locations?

> I don't know if setuptools or distutils supports packaging private
> modules.

Then what is meant by the Python policy speaking of such things?

> Is there a particular reason you want to keep it private and not
> installed it alongside other python modules?

The modules are not packaged to be a 'python-gracie' system library
module; instead, they're in support of a specific application only. I
was under the impression that the Debian Python steering team wants to
discourage installing application-specific libraries to the
system-library location.

--
 \            "If you continue running Windows, your system may become |
  `\                 unstable."  -- Microsoft, Windows 95 BSOD message |