Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 01:48:11AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
>
> > One example is .config maintainer scripts, some of which are quite complex
> > and worth writing in a higher-level language than shell.
>
> This is surely true; Steve Langasek asked if this was a real issue in
> Ubuntu or merely a potential issue.
>
> Granted if it is a real issue, then why not use perl?   Yes, I hate
> perl too, but really, the argument "hey, people like Python too"
> implies that we should have a scheme interpreter, a perl, a python,
> emacs lisp, and well, everything anyone might want.

Ubuntu developers would like to be able to use Python.  So far there has
been no demand whatsoever for LISP derivatives in this context.

> Or, we say "we aren't going to support *every* high-level language"
> and stick to one.

We aren't going to support every high-level language, but we do support
more than one in Ubuntu.

This, of course, has no particular bearing on whether Debian follows suit.

--
 - mdz