Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> writes:

>> Granted if it is a real issue, then why not use perl?   Yes, I hate
>> perl too, but really, the argument "hey, people like Python too"
>> implies that we should have a scheme interpreter, a perl, a python,
>> emacs lisp, and well, everything anyone might want.
>
> Ubuntu developers would like to be able to use Python.  So far there has
> been no demand whatsoever for LISP derivatives in this context.

Ok; Joe Wreschnig just said that "I would like to write scripts in X"
is certainly not a good enough reason to add X to Essential.  It
sounds as if you are in disagreement with him; have I understood
correctly.?

>> Or, we say "we aren't going to support *every* high-level language"
>> and stick to one.
>
> We aren't going to support every high-level language, but we do support
> more than one in Ubuntu.

The question is, why?  Is it just "we want to use Python too"?