Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 02:21:34PM -0600, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 01:48 -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> > > One example is .config maintainer scripts, some of which are quite complex
> > > and worth writing in a higher-level language than shell.

> > This is surely true; Steve Langasek asked if this was a real issue in
> > Ubuntu or merely a potential issue.

> > Granted if it is a real issue, then why not use perl?   Yes, I hate
> > perl too, but really, the argument "hey, people like Python too"
> > implies that we should have a scheme interpreter, a perl, a python,
> > emacs lisp, and well, everything anyone might want.

> > Or, we say "we aren't going to support *every* high-level language"
> > and stick to one.

> There's nothing that prevents us saying "we aren't going to support
> every high-level language" and stick to more than one (we already stick
> to two -- sh and Perl). It just means "I'd like to write scripts in X"
> alone isn't a good enough reason.

> Python is the "official" language of Ubuntu. If we want to merge work
> they're doing (Anthony Towns mentioned their work on boot speed, for
> example) it's a good idea to structure our Python like theirs is. This
> seems to be a good reason to consider python-minimal and some form of
> Python in Essential.

> The real issue here is that the original upload didn't do that; it went
> through the motions without actually changing our Python packaging or
> upgrading the version, so we just got all of Python as Essential. No one
> wanted that.

No, whether to make python-minimal Essential: yes is a real issue as well;
so far I haven't seen any real arguments in favor of doing this in Debian
other than "someone else is doing it".  And as long as Ubuntu *is* doing it
we might as well wait and see whether this results in any scripts in the
wild that we would want to merge back into Debian and would need Essential
python for.  So far, it's my understanding that the implementation in Ubuntu
has preceded any non-theoretical use case, which doesn't sound to me like a
good way to manage policy for Essential.