Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:14:17PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [2006-01-19 19:21:07]:
> > > In Ubuntu, we've split the package in
> > > order to make -minimal essential, but never install it alone (both are part
> > > of base).

> > Then what's the benefit of having python(-minimal) be essential at all?

> you are able to do init.d scripts,

Can be done using Depends.

> pre-

Can be done using Pre-Depends.

> and postinsts

Can be done using Depends.

These really aren't reasons for making a package Essential, AFAICT.

And the real hang-up with adding Essential packages isn't even size bloat,
it's making sure it will still be possible to upgrade later.  This is
particularly a concern when the new essential package will be adding
dependencies not needed by any other existing essential packages (e.g., in
this case python-minimal Depends: python2.4-minimal).

I guess you could want an Essential python in order to write debconf config
scripts or postrm scripts in python.  Is anyone doing this?