Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:21:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:56:59PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:12:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > >   * allowing us to easily use python (as well as C, C++ and perl) for programs
> > >     in the base system
> > >   * allowing us to provide python early on installs to make users happier
> > Please note that it is against upstream's explicit wishes for -minimal to be
> > installed for users as part of a package selection which does not also
> > include the full python package.
>
> URL? I have trouble distinguishing that from "Upstream says python-minimal
> must Depend: on python."

I don't have a URL; this came out of a discussion in person with Anthony
Baxter, though, who you could email for confirmation if you like.

The Python community dislikes the idea of people being given a
/usr/bin/python that doesn't include the standard library.  This causes
confusion for their users.

> > In Ubuntu, we've split the package in order to make -minimal essential,
> > but never install it alone (both are part of base).
>
> Then what's the benefit of having python(-minimal) be essential at all?

So that the Python language, and select pieces of the standard library, can
be used in contexts where only essential packages can be relied upon to
be available.

--
 - mdz