Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

* Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [2006-01-19 19:21:07]:
> > In Ubuntu, we've split the package in
> > order to make -minimal essential, but never install it alone (both are part
> > of base).
>
> Then what's the benefit of having python(-minimal) be essential at all?

you are able to do init.d scripts, pre- and postinsts etc in
python. That is a "ease of development" helper for ubuntu.

how agressive does debian use it's perl in this regard? i think
hardly at all.

i would welcome to either kick both higher level scrip languages
out (to shrink essential) and rewrite stuff like adduser in c or
c++ or see if we cant really use perl (or perhaps even
python-minimal) more for scripting in these places. it is an
underutilized resource currently and would be a win in
readability, structure and even speed.