Re: Updated dh_python to satisfy everybody

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) [060620 01:35]:
> > On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > >      - uses "XS-Python-Standards-Version: 0.4" as reference field to run in new
> > >        policy mode. The presence of XS-Python-Version will also trigger the new
> > >        policy mode (this is for short-term compatibility, it may be removed in
> > >        the not too-distant future).
> >
> > Joe proposed on IRC to use "debian/pycompat" instead of a new field. It
> > sounds very much debhelper-ish and I like it.
>
> It depends what the field means.

It means "run dh_python in the following compatibility mode" and nothing
more.

> > Several people have concerns with this Python-Standards-Version field
> > because it may have implications further than dh_python. This
> > debian/pycompat would solve that.
>
> These people should bring up their concerns here.

I'll summarize what I heard:
- Having P-S-V clutters the debian/control file exactly like P-V does.
- Having P-S-V would encourage further backwards incompatible changes
  to the python packaging because we created an official way to track
  them.
- P-S-V would right now only be used as boolean for dh_python, which means
  it's an overengineered solution to the current problem I was trying to
  solve.

Raphaël Hertzog