Re: Coordinated effort to update python packages

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:06:53PM +0200, Piotr Ozarowski wrote:
> He can simply change /usr/bin/python symlink (that's very bad, but
> it's possible)

To be honest, I don't think it's worth supporting that, since the user
is basically breaking his Python install.

> or if he will need some features introduced in new python version and
> decides to change python version (by changing script's first line to
> #!/usr/bin/python2.4), will you upload new package just for him?

This is a good point, and it is one I considered when converting my
pakcage a while back from supporting multiple Python version to just one
version. At that point I thought making the packaging simpler and having
fewer packages in the archive was a better goal than supporting all
Python versions.

Since it seems possible to both these days, I'm strongly considering
doing that.

--
gram