Re: python-central vs python-support

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006, Matthias Klose wrote:
> assume we want to add a python2.5 package. It's nice to have, but
> extensions will need an update, or they will FTBFS. At this point I
> would rather not see python2.5 as supported.

Agreed, however it would be nice for package which do already work with
python2.5 to be able to provide that...

> The 'Provides: python2.3-foo, python2.4-foo' is missing for all
> packages with private modules and scripts (without shared modules).
> For that case we do need XB-Python-Version.  If we do want to drop the
> Provides for packages where they are not needed, we need it for shared
> modules as well.

What for? Modules are automatically available to all python versions
(except those which do not support all versions, but then we can't do
better...).

> > Don't you think this new field and Provides are redondant, and that you
> > could decide which rebuilds are necessary from it ?
>
> no, not for packages with private extensions.

Does this kind of package exist? (ie do you have an example?)

Raphaël Hertzog