Re: python-central vs python-support

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 20:56 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> now you know a bit better the policy (or at least the generic idea, feel
> free to discuss details further),

No. After the previous thread I am still in the dark on:
 - Tight upper dependencies. We you just incorrect, or are they
   actually required?
 - python2.x-* packages -- are they needed? desirable?
   Steve and Matthias gave different answers, and if they're present
   migrations end up just as fragile as they are now.

Until these two issues are clear, everything else is irrelevant. The
goal shouldn't be to pick a tool, but to solve the problem. If neither
tool solves the problem, or policy prevents us from using it to solve
the problem, then this is just technical sophistry.

> 2/ Extensions can't be shared between several python versions so they need to
> be compiled once for each. The packaging needs to be modified to do those
> compilations. We really need a tool (maybe dh_python with a special flag)
> to generate dynamically the list of python version that the package must
> be compiled with. The .so files must be installed in /usr/lib/python2.X/
> and the associated .py files may be moved to a shared directory (either
> the python-support or python-central directory).

Was there consensus about whether or not extensions for all versions
should be included in one binary package? This was not mentioned in your
policy email. I'm ambivalent on the issue, I guess, but we should choose
one way or the other.

> I agree with Matthias that it would be better to use only one "helper
> tool" but I would favor python-support instead of python-central for the
> reasons outlined below. Beware this is only *my* opinion. I'll gladly
> follow the consensus and would even accept to let both tools coexist.
>
> python-support:
> * 247 lines of code
> * maintained by Josselin Mouette (dh_python author)
> * positive aspects
>   * already in the archive, works, well tested

This IMO is the most important part. It's here, and we're using it.
python-central has "right arond the corner" for months. Many modules are
already using -support, and it integrates very easily with any project
using distutils. With proper debhelper integration it would be even
simpler.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>