Re: python-central vs python-support

Joe Wreschnig writes:
> 1) Public modules and extensions should support all available Python
> versions, using a single binary package.

s/available/supported/. we will try to keep the number of supported
python versions/implementations minimal.

> 2) A new control field, XC-Python-Version will be used to determine what
> versions of Python a module supports.

Plus XS-Python-Version, from which XC-Python-Version is generated from.

> 3) The tight upper bound on module dependencies will be removed,
> provided the module actually works on future versions of Python. The
> upper bound on extension dependencies will not, because then they
> wouldn't work.
>
> 4) python2.x-* virtual packages are to be used only when necessary, but
> packages can provide them regardless.

you don't know in advance, if they are necessary. Not a problem, if
they are generated.

> 5) Private modules and applications should use some way to support more
> than one Python version, if possible.

no, we should recommend or require that, or we can only collapse the
pythonX-Y-foo packages into python-foo for a very small number of
packages. Nothing new, see my analysis from February.

> 4) I am still unsure of, because Steve and Matthias gave different
> answers, and your answer is confusing -- if they're desirable, let's
> make them required; if not, let's not pollute the (virtual) package
> namespace unless we need them for a specific reason.

you cannot predict if the package is used a dependency.

> 2) is suspect. It's not required for multiversion support *in policy*.
> The working python-support implementation in unstable, while still
> lacking such fields, proves that. I feel it's much more of an
> implementation issue than a policy one, and so if we don't use
> python-central (which I gather is the impetus for it), we shouldn't
> bother with the control field either.

we agreed to use this information so that you can decide on package
rebuilds based on the Sources and Packages files. See my slides from
Debconf.

  Matthias