Re: python 2.4?

On 5/16/06, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
Le mardi 16 mai 2006 à 17:04 -0300, Gustavo Franco a écrit :
> > Matthias has some updates on python-central on his laptop and he should
> > upload it somewhere so that we can take a look.
>
> Ok, but what's the point here? Are we going to drop python-support
> usage ? Will python-central provides python-support ? Can we
> technically keep using both (we shouldn't IMHO!) ?

Even after the talk, I have no idea of what python-central exactly does.
It is supposed to help us in building the new policy, but I don't know
how exactly.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPythonTODO points out a thread were doko
explain this.

In short, the main decision has been to drop entirely python2.x-foo
packages. They will, however, be provided as virtual packages, but only
if something actually needs them.

Great news.

For python-only modules, it has been decided to use python-support. The
python modules team already knows it and won't have anything to change
in such packages. The necessary code for dh_python will be back soon.

Well, i'm part of the dpmt and it wasn't really decided to stick with
python-support after/while moving to python 2.4. I've recommended the
group pick python-support for python-only modules because the
pythonX.X-foo thing sucks, and it was clear that we were going to get
rid of that.

Of course, the python-support solution seemed to be a good one instead
use python-all-dev and keep wit the versioned packages until 2.4 and
after that start the move. buxy that is other group admin agreed too
(based on my opinion about his words and wiki article).

For C extensions, it was decided to build them for all available python
versions in a single python-foo package. For example, currently we have
python2.3 and python2.4. The package would
contain /usr/lib/python2.[34]/site-packages/foo.so and depend on
"python (>= 2.3), python (<< 2.5)". The python-all-dev package will be
used to build this.

Sounds good.

Any comment about the policy changes and where python-central will fit there?

Meanwhile, i'll check if dpmt group's policy needs update.

regards,
-- stratus