Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org> writes:

> We can burn those bridges when we come to them. Right now there's only
> one such distribution, with one such language, which has already done
> all the work to strip it down to a small size.

Scalability problems do not happen because someone failed to stop the
tenth extra case.  They happen because nobody stopped the second.

> Unless you expect some derived Debian distribution to use Scheme some
> day, this is sophistry. If you really do expect that, it's insanity.

I once thought that it was insanity to expect Python to be in broad
use.  I was wrong.

> I don't manage Ubuntu policy, nor do I want to. I am a Debian developer
> interested in Debian. The argument for Debian is not "I'd like to write
> scripts in X" but "There is this large body of people writing scripts in
> X, and it'd be nice if we could work with them."

Yes, I understand.  I'm trying to understand--from a Debian
perspective--whether there are any limits, or it really just is "lots
of people are writing scripts in X"?

And, how many scripts are we talking about anyway?