Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 01:04:25PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> writes:
>
> >> Granted if it is a real issue, then why not use perl?   Yes, I hate
> >> perl too, but really, the argument "hey, people like Python too"
> >> implies that we should have a scheme interpreter, a perl, a python,
> >> emacs lisp, and well, everything anyone might want.
> >
> > Ubuntu developers would like to be able to use Python.  So far there has
> > been no demand whatsoever for LISP derivatives in this context.
>
> Ok; Joe Wreschnig just said that "I would like to write scripts in X"
> is certainly not a good enough reason to add X to Essential.  It
> sounds as if you are in disagreement with him; have I understood
> correctly.?

I have said repeatedly that I am not expressing an opinion about what Debian
does with regard to python-minimal.  The only reason I am participating in
this thread is to answer questions about what we did in Ubuntu and why, and
I think I've done that thoroughly now.

--
 - mdz