Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:38:08PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Ok, but now I'm confused: why is python-minimal needed in Essential?
> Why not simply depend on it straightforwardly?

Because there are parts of the packaging system where there is no way to
express such a dependency relationship, and so only Essential packages can
be relied upon to be available.

One example is .config maintainer scripts, some of which are quite complex
and worth writing in a higher-level language than shell.

--
 - mdz