Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

At 12:39 PM 11/24/2005 -0800, Robert Kern wrote:
I'm not suggesting that /usr/share/.../ should be the only place to find
 .egg-info directories. Simply that pkg_resources would scan
sys.path+['/usr/share/.../'] and treat the ones found in /usr/share/.../
as if they were in /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/. Everywhere else
that a user could put Python packages (e.g.
/usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/) is fine to put whatever the
user wants. Eggs, .egg-info/; it doesn't matter. It doesn't need an
alternate location. Debian packages need to be more disciplined, but all
Debianized Python packages are installed to
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ so we only need the one alias, not many.

It's possible that only the DD in charge of packaging setuptools will
have to concern himself with coding this.

Or they can just put the /usr/share/whatever directory on sys.path just after site-packages, with no need to modify setuptools then at all. This solution would work today even with a locally-installed (including user-home-directory-installed) version of setuptools.