Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

At 04:20 PM 11/24/2005 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
Le jeudi 24 novembre 2005 à 10:14 -0500, Phillip J. Eby a écrit :
> At 01:44 PM 11/24/2005 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >They only introduce more complexity, instead of bringing real features.
>
> Please read the hundreds of kilobytes of messages I've already posted on
> this thread

I've read them. All of them. You're only babbling about how eggs are
great, instead of explaining what problem they are trying to solve.

No, what's happening is that you're not paying attention, because you believe that Debian already solves those problems, even though it doesn't solve them for Python developers who want their projects to be usable on every platform. You're also ignoring my repeated explanations about how plugins work, and why Debian doesn't help with that problem either.

And finally, and most importantly, you're ignoring the fact that this discussion began because a Debian developer wanted to package a successful egg-using project and its dependencies. Nobody came to you asking for your blessing to package eggs or your approval of how useful eggs are; somebody came and asked me for help in getting this to work with Debian. Help which I've been giving.

For some reason, however, you seem to think that you are actually in a position to pass judgment on the usefulness of eggs. If their usefulness were in any meaningful question, we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place!

I've been answering Martin's posts to kill FUD and to make progress where progress could be made. But your posts aren't spreading any FUD I haven't already answered, and you're clearly not interested in making any progress, so I don't see any point in wasting either of our time any further on this thread. Nonetheless, I remain committed to helping any system integrator - Debian included - in helping their users by allowing them to satisfy egg dependencies using their existing packages, as well as in packaging egg-based projects in ways that work, not only for the project, but for the system integrator.

In other words, setuptools 0.6a9 will have the features that at least Martin and Matthias have suggested will be an acceptable solution for packaging projects that explicitly contain egg metadata (such as FormEncode), and will also allow older Python packages to add dependency metadata with a single empty file. While I'm not a party to any Debian policy decisions regarding whether these features will be used for which packages and when, I will nonetheless be happy to continue offering technical input on these matters upon request.

Luckily, the overall discussion has been productive despite the rancor. I've learned quite a lot that will be useful.