Re: Let's think about removing Python 2.1 and 2.2

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 10:26:09PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 12 juillet 2005 à 14:35 -0500, Kenneth Pronovici a écrit :
> > I did some hacking on pychecker earlier this year, and it was really
> > nice to have 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 all available on the same Debian
> > system.  I would be disappointed if Debian dropped these interpreters
> > completely for etch.
> >
> > Hopefully, it wouldn't be too difficult to continue supporting these
> > interpreters until upstream declares them dead.
>
> I strongly disagree. Not only does supporting too many versions of the
> interpreter is more difficult - not speaking of the added burden to the
> security team - but this is cluttering the archive, complicating the
> maintainers' work and the major version transitions, wasting time that
> could be spent to more useful tasks. Having only one python version (at
> least for most packages) would save hundreds of packages in the
> distribution, and it's that less work for maintainers.

I think you misunderstood my suggestion, and probably the suggestion of
the OP.  I did not suggest that we continue to maintain packages
depending on these old Python versions.  I just suggested that we
continue to support the interpreters themselves, so that users can
invoke them directly if desired.

This in and of itself should not be a large burden on the security team
and should not result in very many extra packages in the archive (at
least not hundreds extra).  I can't speak for the burden on the python
maintainers themselves, which is why I was hoping (in the part of my
message you trimmed) that they might speak up and tell us how much of a
burden this might be.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>